Development Manager Position
Reports to: Libby Bentley, Executive Director
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Organization Overview & Background
Founded in 1992 as a non-profit 501(c)(3), I Care San Antonio (I Care SA) is a Christian, medical organization managed primarily by volunteer doctors. Our mission is to improve lives by providing complete eye care - including medical, surgical and optical - to those who cannot afford it.
Dr. Robert A. Rice, I Care SA’s co-founder, participated in his first mission trip with Medical Missions International in 1987. Later, in 1991, after many more mission trips to Mexico and South America, Dr. Rice, Doug Radcliffe and several friends at Covenant Presbyterian Church wanted to provide charity eye care to the needy on a regular basis and formed a group called I Care San Antonio (ICSA). The purpose of the group was to provide eye care on a consistent basis to the low income and homeless families in San Antonio and Mexico.
In 2009, I Care SA was invited to become one of the lead agencies at Haven for Hope (a homeless campus in downtown San Antonio) and build a large facility to help care for more patients. Through the generosity of donations from foundations, local corporations, individuals and churches, the I Care Vision Center opened with eight fully equipped exam lanes, new critical equipment and cutting-edge medical devices to better serve patients.
Since 1992, I Care SA has provided vision care to over 35,101 patients including, 2,476 surgeries and dispensed over 25,000 pairs of glasses or optical vouchers. The 35 volunteer doctors range from optometrists to retina specialists and donate a half day each month to care for patients at the I Care Vision Center. Though we are located at Haven for Hope, the majority of our patients (80%) are low income families that are living at 150% or below federal poverty guidelines throughout the San Antonio and surrounding area. Approximately 20% of the patients are Haven for Hope residents or homeless individuals.
In addition, to operating the I Care Vision Center, I Care San Antonio also co-sponsors international mission trips to support eye care and surgeries in impoverished countries through its medical ministry outreach program.
The future plans of I Care SA are focused on expanding current programs at the I Care Vision Center. Specifically, we are developing more outreach programs to target people with diabetes, seniors and veterans. In addition, we are collaborating with more international organizations to fulfill our goals of providing eye care in underserved countries.
For more information visit our website at www.icare-sa.org
In its more than twenty-year operating history, I Care San Antonio has evolved from becoming established and operational to becoming a national leader in the vision charities. In just five years the budget has moved from $200,000 to $750,000. The Development Manager at I Care San Antonio will be the organization’s development executive, providing vision and strategy that will elevate all funding efforts through foundations, individual donors and corporate sponsors. This position will lead, create and implement the development plan and processes, with the goal of expanding I Care San Antonio’s development base on a local, state and national level. This will occur in coordination with I Care San Antonio’s Board and Executive Director. The Development Manager will be a close right hand to the Executive Director, working to envision and establish programs that will ensure the future success for this stellar organization. Some travel and weekends (very limited) may be involved.
Key Executive Objectives & Responsibilities
- Plan, coordinate, and execute broad-based, local, state, and national level development strategies to secure current and future financial support through individuals, corporations, foundations, volunteers, and churches.
- Oversee all development activities, including: Cultivating and soliciting major donor and top prospects.
- Directing national major gifts program, including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors. Formulating and implementing innovative major gift strategies.
- Directing foundation grant programs, including strategies for grant submission, proposal writing, and submission of foundation reporting requirements.
- Planning and executing capital fundraising.
- Plan and manage fundraising events. Plan and manage Big Give.
- Manage individual gifts my prospecting and researching potential donor prospects.
- Create, cultivate and manage online giving program and social media giving program, including crowd funding, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and individual Go Fund Me strategies.
- Establish strong, constructive, and appropriate working relationships with the CEO, executive leadership, board members, staff, donors, and the public.
- Strengthen relationships with existing corporate and foundation partners.
- Work closely with I Care’s Board of Directors, and other key volunteers in elevating all development efforts of the organization.
- Coordinate marketing and public relations; bolstering I Care’s visibility in the community.
- Oversee donor database, tracking systems, and donor acknowledgments.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Five or more years of nonprofit fundraising experience in positions of increasing responsibility and complexity.
- Successful track record of raising funds annually.
- Demonstrable success in securing substantial grants, individual donations and corporate gifts.
- Extensive knowledge of online giving campaigns.
- Thorough understanding of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, human behavior and performance, and coordination of people and resources.
- Experience in grant writing.
- Deep understanding of best practices in development, including financial management and reporting, donor development, and donor-tracking systems.
- Proven track record of organizing and maintaining efficient operational procedures.
- Excellent skills in written and verbal communication, presentation, and public speaking required. Ease in communicating effectively with a wide range of audiences. Detailed oriented with the ability to write press releases and fundraising materials with precision.
- High level of comfort using Internet tools, social media, and development software.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) fluency a plus.
Essential Personality Traits & Skills
- Passion and energy for I Care’s mission, programs, and purposes.
- Compatible and energetic member of leadership team.
- Integrity above reproach, treating all with respect.
- Empathetic, adaptable, and collaborative personality; superb interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter personality.
Competitive cash compensation, plus excellent benefits.
Libby Bentley (210) 220-2361 / (210) 220-2499 Fax
All inquiries will be treated confidentially